We seem content to let him slink off into the sunset, relieved that he'll finally be gone. There seems to be little interest in holding him accountable for the horrible damage he’s done to our country.
In our post-election euphoria, we seem to have forgotten that he and his administration:
- turned a sizeable budget surplus into an unprecedented deficit
- rammed though tax cuts for their wealthy cronies at the expense of the low and middle class
- dismantled the last remnants of a regulatory system designed to protect the economy
- deceived us into an illegal and imperialistic war that resulted in the death of more than 4000 brave American soldiers and the maiming of thousands more plus the death of several hundred thousand Iraqis
- wasted a trillion dollars on the war, much of it going to corrupt military contractors and Iraqi officials
- violated the Geneva Conventions by torturing war prisoners
- ruined our hard-won reputation for fairness and decency in the international community
- took away our Constitutionally-granted civil liberties
- left thousands of American citizens stranded in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, and
- jammed through a $700 billion financial bailout package on his way out the door that benefits the greedy investment industry that helped create the current economic disaster
The Bush Administration’s stock-in-trade was lies and deception. Its policies led us from one catastrophe into another. Its remedies consisted of one broken promise after another.
George Bush and Company are criminals that have violated U.S. and international laws with impunity. Even as they sleaze out of Washington, they continue to spin their lies into a web of historic distortion.
Yet no one seems to have the stomach to take these miscreants to task for their crimes.