Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Unrequited love

Oh America, you are the mistress
who promises me nights of carnal bliss,
then stands me up for the man next door
who molests my children.

I’m hopelessly in lust with you
and willing to overlook your sins,
so you play me like a plastic kazoo
and make me pick up the tab.

Oh America, I watch in horror
as you send a thousand deadly drones
to rain death on women and children
you call enemies and collateral damage.

But I forgive you for your actions
and come crawling back again
to reward you with my sacred votes
and my blind loyalty.

Oh America, I long for
the promise that you held,
written by your founding fathers
when you were but a crying child.

I’m like all your other suitors
still in love with your façade,
but I'm weary after sixty years
of being your cuckold.

Oh America, you're the fickle whore
who preys on johns like me,
letting us believe we matter more
than your patrician pimps.

I believe you when you lie to me
always hoping for the truth,
so I toss my taxes and my self-respect
on the nightstand by your bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment